100 Texas Ranger Trail, Waco, Texas 76706
Yonder's Fort Fisher and Here's a Recruit, 1968 Oil on canvas, 32 x 26
In his depictions of the Texas Rangers or Texas Frontier life, Tom Lea drew attention to the vast expanse of the state’s natural terrain and the people who were responsible for its laws. In this oil painting, Lea frames the portrait of a young man on horseback headed towards Fort Fisher.
A Little Shade, 1965 Oil on canvas
Ranger Escort West of the Pecos (study), 1965 Pencil on paper
Lea’s notes on the back of the work state that this was a “Working drawing for the figure of Texas Ranger Sergeant James B. Gillett for the painting…”.
The Texas Ranger Hall of Fame and Museum complex is dedicated to the history and lore of the legendary Texas Rangers – the oldest state law enforcement agency in the nation and an enduring symbol of Texas and the American West.
Since 1823, the Texas Rangers have represented the highest ideals of Texas and America to admirers around the world. Individually, the Texas Rangers are some of the most colorful heroes in American history. Together, the brought peace to an untamed frontier, and in the process became one of the most famous and respected crime-fighting forces anywhere.
Founded in 1968, the Texas Ranger Hall of Fame and Museum houses the largest existing collection of artifacts related to the Texas Rangers, some dating back to their Spanish and Mexican origins. Among the treasures are Texas Ranger badges, firearms, tack and personal gear.
The Hall of Fame memorializes Texas Rangers who gave their lives in the line of duty or served with great distinction.
Texas Collection, Carroll Library, 1429 S. 5th Street, Baylor University, Waco, Texas
Study for R.E.B. Baylor, 1970 Pencil, 5 x 10 inches © James D. Lea
Portrait of R.E. B. Baylor, 1970 Chinese ink painting, 12 x 16 inches
The portrait of Robert Emmett Bledsoe Baylor, for whom Baylor University is named, appears as the frontispiece of “Baylor at Independence” by Mrs. Lois Smith Murray, a Baylor English professor who provided pictures of Judge Baylor to Tom Lea from which he rendered the portrait. Tom Lea later gave his painting to the University through his good friend from Waco, Dr. Frank Connally, who presented it to President Abner V. McCall in February of 1971. Tom Lea received an honorary doctorate from the University for his lifetime achievements in 1967.